The Department of Communication is now the School of Communication

Kristina Smith

The UNF Board of Trustees has officially designated the Department of Communication as the School of Communication Thursday afternoon. According to the Osprey Update, this new change reflects the growing impact and size of the program.

According to the School of Communication site, the school offers programs where students can produce news stories for “Inside Jacksonville”, create documentaries, and research and write stories for The Florida-Times Union.

The School of Communication has more than 5,000 graduates and alumni that work at CNN, the Washington Post, ESPN, Twitter, and several PR firms and advertising agencies. And the school would like to continue to grow and offer more services to students.

According to the School of Communication, John Parmelee, director and chair of the School of Communication, has a promising view for the future.

“Becoming the School of Communication will help in several ways in terms of recruiting top students and faculty, increasing employment opportunities for graduates, and assisting with fundraising,” Parmelee said.

The School of Communication offers a bachelor’s in Communication Studies and a master’s in Communication Management. The school hopes to expand its services and bring in more students.