Why scientists say coffee can help fight off obesity

Heydi Ortiz, News Editor

Thinking about putting down that cup of coffee? Well, don’t. You’re probably thinking “Why won’t these people stop talking about coffee?” 

It’s because we know how much college kids love their coffee and the feeling of guilt that comes with each cup. But now, there’s no need to worry. New research suggests coffee does more than send you on your way to the nearest bathroom and prevent colon cancer: coffee helps fight off obesity.

Although studies about caffeine consumption being directly linked to weight loss have been conducted in the past, the direct link between coffee and brown fat remained unclear.

With the hopes of learning more about this correlation, researchers from the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom conducted a study to better learn the effects of coffee and its role in fighting obesity.

According to Medical News Today, scientists say coffee activates a protein found in brown adipose tissue, which helps the body turn nutrients into energy and generate heat. Brown adipose tissue, or “brown fat,” helps people maintain weight and stay lean by burning off white fat when stimulated.

Professor Michael Symonds from the University of Nottingham School of Medicine and his team used thermal imaging to observe the change in temperature of brown fat reserves (mainly found in the neck region) after one cup of coffee.

Their data showed that brown fat began to heat up, leading scientists to believe coffee could help with the burning of calories.

So don’t feel so bad next time you grab your cup of coffee.

__