Campus alert warns of reported sexual assault in Osprey Cove

Ramona Ramdeen, Police Reporter

According to a campus alert, UNFPD are looking for a man who reportedly sexually assaulted a woman on campus Friday.

On July 5, at approximately 4:45 pm, UNFPD was dispatched to Osprey Cove, where a woman told police she was sexually assaulted at her residence by a man she met through a dating app. Police say the man they are looking for is white with tattoos on both arms and is driving a white Jeep Cherokee.

Authorities are also warning those who use mobile dating apps to meet in public places and not where you live.

“The only person responsible for sexual misconduct is the perpetrator. It is against the law to engage in sexual activities without consent. With no intent to victim blame and recognizing that only abusers are responsible for their abuse, all students are reminded to please use caution when arranging meetings through any dating site or application. To protect yourself from sexual predators, it is recommended that initial contact always take place in a public space. It is also highly recommended that you verify the identity and build trust with any individual before inviting them to your place of residence,” said the campus alert.

If you have any additional information please call UNF campus police at 904-620-2800.

__