LGBT Resource Center celebrates Pride Month amid COVID

Kaitlyn Bowers, Video Director

June is known around the US for two things: the beginning of summer and Pride Month. Usually, this combination leads to large gatherings to honor the Stonewall riots of 1969 and celebrate what it means to be a part of the LGBTQ+ community. But what do you do when there’s a pandemic spreading through the country?

The timing of the pandemic offered a unique challenge to the resource center: the director, Manuel Velasquez, had joined the center’s team only 2 months before school went off campus. 

Despite this hurdle, UNF’s LGBT Resource Center is determined to still be accessible to students during Pride Month and beyond.

“The biggest issue to keep in mind is that for many of our LGBTQ+ students, UNF provides them with the opportunity to be their true selves. Many may not even be out to their parents, relatives and/or friends,” said Velasquez. “Some of our students may be facing homophobia/transphobia from their family back home, so we had to come up with a clear plan to assist them virtually and to give them a virtual space to feel a sense of belonging.”

This plan has included virtual office hours, opportunities to make appointments with the center’s staff, and virtual chat rooms for LGBTQ+ students. The center also holds a support group every Monday at 3 p.m. in conjunction with the Counseling Center for LGBTQ+ students.

In terms of Pride Month, the center has several Zoom meetings planned to commemorate the month. Each Wednesday at 2 pm, there will be a virtual discussion called Loud Lounge that discusses various topics such as microaggressions in the black and brown LGBTQ+ communities and domestic violence. 

The center will also continue holding a “Flex Fest” weekly, which is a virtual party that consists of chatting with fellow students while watching movies on Netflix. However, during the month of June, LGBTQ+ documentaries will be the focus. Here is a list of the dates and films:

• June 5: The Death & Life of Marsha P Johnson
  • June 12: We will go dark to commemorate Pulse
  • June 19: All In My Family
  • June 26: A Secret Love

On behalf of the LGBT Resource Center, Manuel Velasquez has also been invited to make presentations for several different Pride events. Velasquez will give a presentation on the importance of pronouns and another on how to have a more inclusive workplace. Similar presentations will be given to SEGrocers. A special presentation will also be given to Prospanica (The National Society of Hispanic MBAs) on “Preserving Your LGBTQ Identity in a Pandemic.

For a full list of the LGBT Resource Center’s events, click here. 

___

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Meet the Candidates. Graphic by Carter Mudgett.

Meet the candidates: Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer interviews to begin

• Lufrano Gallery installation created by Camryn Media. Photo by Carter Mudgett.

The Lufrano Intercultural Gallery’s new exhibit opens for students and faculty to view

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Victoria Shore, Headshot courtesy of Student Government

Advisor Shore retires after 11 years at UNF

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• What is staying open at UNF over winter break?

What is staying open at UNF over winter break?

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.