Summer 2020 graduation will be virtual

Courtney Green, Managing Editor

Yet another semester is slated to conclude without caps and gowns and the UNF Arena. A second batch of graduates will be receiving degrees without their ceremonial walk in public.

Instead, graduation will be held virtually on July 31 for those graduating this summer, according to a UNF Marketing email sent on June 15.

“Graduates will be invited back to campus to participate in a future live ceremony,” the email promises.

The virtual ceremony entails a website “honoring the summer graduates” with messages and videos, as well as social media posts recognizing graduates throughout the week leading up to commencement.

“UNF’s plans are in line with the State University System’s recent announcement directing Florida universities to develop alternate plans for summer commencement ceremonies,” the email explains. “The SUS cited that health guidelines still limit gatherings at this time. Though the Osprey community cannot gather together in person for summer commencement, the University is committed to offering both spring and summer graduates an opportunity to participate in a future live commencement ceremony.”

___

• The NOAA forecast cone for Tropical Storm Ian as of 11 a.m. Saturday.

Gov. DeSantis issues state of emergency as Tropical Storm Ian strengthens

• Senators in the SG Senate Chambers

UNF SG Senate passes two fiscal bills, welcomes two additional members to their branches

• UPDs new Ford Explorers circa 2016.

General

UNF student finds anti-semitic symbol on dorm door

• The current NOAA depression forecast cone for Tropical Depression 9.

Tropical Depression 9 forms, will approach Florida “at or near major hurricane strength”

• Photo by Justin Nedrow

‘You can go back in time’: UNF reveals interactive map for 50th anniversary

• Students with umbrellas, rain coats and a pride flag gather around a preacher on the Green

Students raise concerns for their safety on campus in discussion on campus preachers

• In this Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2022, photo taken by an individual not employed by the Associated Press and obtained by the AP outside Iran, protesters chant slogans during a protest over the death of a woman who was detained by the morality police, in downtown Tehran, Iran. Iranians saw their access to Instagram, one of the few Western social media platforms still available in the country, disrupted on Wednesday following days of the mass protests. (AP Photo)

Associated Press

AP: Iranians see widespread internet blackout amid mass protests

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• Frank German stands on the mound

Baseball

Former Osprey pitcher makes it Major, debuts with Red Sox

• Soccer player high fives teammate

Men’s soccer breaks through, picks up first win of season