Let’s get lit for Pride

Courtney Green, Managing Editor

We have only a few days left in Pride month, but that doesn’t mean it has to end there. Below, you will find six books (a mix of fiction and nonfiction) to carry you through the remaining months of 2020. Check out any one of these books to further your education, entertain a new perspective, and/or support a LGBTQ+ author.

Literature

Transgender Warriors: Making History Joan of Arc to Dennis Rodman by Leslie Feinberg

“Men and women have had their histories. This is the history book for the rest of us.”–Kate Bornstein, author of Gender Outlaw

The Stonewall Reader by Edmund White

“Through his skillful curation, [editor Jason Baumann] offers a corrective for what is too often a sanitized, homogenous, and whitewashed portrayal of academics and professionals about the event sometimes termed ‘the hairpin drop heard around the world.’ … The first-person narratives collected here effectively spotlight the social inequalities surrounding the LGBTQ community, many of which persist today. A bold rallying cry that should help in the continuing fight for LGBTQ rights.”Kirkus Reviews

A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski

“The first book to cover all of LGBT history from 1492 through the present is Michael Bronski’s A Queer History of the United States (Beacon Press). It is wonderfully readable and looks at the way we understand the history of the United States. The LGBT population moves from the margins to the mainstream and we see that the history of this country also is our history.”—Windy City Times

Fiction

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

“ . . . A wildly romantic retelling of the Trojan Was as a story of longtime companions narrated by Patroclus.  Miller plays with the historical record as established by Homer…. and puts a sexy new narrative spin on the ancients that is surprisingly suspenseful.  Some of the suspense comes from curiosities, like who will tell the story after Patroclus dies, but most of it comes from the urgency of Miller’s storytelling. . . .bringing those dark figures back to life, making them men again, and while she’s at it, us[ing] her passionate companion piece toThe Iliad as a subtle swipe at today’s ongoing debate over gay marriage.  Talk about updating the classics.”–Mary Pols, Time Magazine

An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon

“The HSS Matilda is a well-crafted world, and…the diversity of the people who inhabit it–their various sexual and gender identities, physical abilities, and psychological burdens–is refreshingly visible and vital even as they face brutal discrimination for their differences. An entertaining novel that does not neglect the vitality of its story while probing society’s assumptions.”–Kirkus Reviews

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

“The story is riveting, beautiful, and full of the kind of detail that brings to life a place (rural Montana), a time (the early 1990s), and a questioning teenage girl.”–Publishers Weekly

___

1 Comment

One Response to “Let’s get lit for Pride”

1. Chris Gauron on June 30th, 2020 1:42 pm

Call for President Szymanski to have Chick Fil-A removed from UNF campus as he, commendably, did in the aftermath of Papa John’s President’s hate speach in having that franchise removed and barred from UNF Campus. In 2012 Chick Fil-A’s President made similarly hateful comments against gay marraige. No remorse was ever offered, only a committment to not make further public political statements was offered by Chick Fil-A’s President who did not step down nor appologise. Chick Fil’ A continues to donate heavily to anti-gay rights lobbying campaigns under the holier than thou banner of religious freedom.

• Photo by Rachel Park on Unsplash

Weekly food bargains in Jacksonville

• Starter job ideas for students

Starter job ideas for students

• Courtesy UNF

Free facilitated growth program for veteran business owners

• The entrance to the Cummer Museum.

UNF sculpture professor exhibiting work at Cummer Museum

• Stress management tips

Stress management tips

• Kamala Harris is sworn in as vice president by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor as her husband Doug Emhoff holds the Bible during the 59th Presidential Inauguration at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021.(Saul Loeb/Pool Photo via AP)

Election Coverage

AP: Vice President Harris: A new chapter opens in US politics

• Photo by Daria Shevtsova via Pexels

Unique spots in Jacksonville that offer free Wi-Fi

• Understanding the COVID-College experience: Does it vary based on state?

Understanding the COVID-College experience: Does it vary based on state?

• Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

Top 10 anticipated video games of 2021

• Courtesy of Disney Platform Distribution

“WandaVision” episodes one & two review

Let’s get lit for Pride