“Love on the Spectrum” Netflix review

Haneifah Ahmad, Intern Reporter

“Love on the Spectrum ” is a dating docuseries that is filled with its flaws and its critiques from the autism community.

This series is about what love and romance look like when you’re on the spectrum. There are seven autistic singles in Australia  ― Michael, Chloe, Kelvin, Maddi, Mark, Andrew, and Olivia. These singles are looking for a partner in this unpredictable world of dating. 

We also see long-lasting couples in this series, Ruth and Thomas, and Sharnae and Jimmy. These couples share insight into the challenges and triumphs of being on the spectrum while in a committed relationship. The similarities of these individuals are emphasized through their mutual understanding of each others’ quirks and unique differences.

On the other hand, singles in the series are navigating the dating pool and gathering much-needed advice from a dating coach who specializes in assisting people with autism in their relationship ventures.  

Personally, I am a sucker for dating shows and romances. Seeing this series pop up in my suggestions, I became intrigued. People that are on the spectrum are not talked about, especially when it comes to relationships or sex. 

This series really struck my heart, in a good way of course. I enjoyed the personal stories every individual shared, especially Maddi’s mother. 

Maddi’s mother became very emotional when she explains how she won’t be here much longer so she would like for her daughter to have someone in her life. This demonstrates parents who have children on the spectrum are protective and want to ensure they find someone they can genuinely depend on. This is what I really liked about the series, it can definitely pull on your heartstrings.

What I didn’t like about the series is that the target audience is white. I would like to see black or any people of color in this series. Sadly, there are only five episodes, so I am hoping for more episodes in the future.

This short series is very compelling and hopeful. It demonstrates how people with disabilities can overcome the barriers they face when it comes to finding love, happiness, and fulfillment. 

I would recommend adding this Netflix series to your Watch List.

___

2 Comments

2 Responses to ““Love on the Spectrum” Netflix review”

1. Wout Thielemans on July 28th, 2020 3:11 am

There were two Asian people with Autism on the series, one (Chinese Kelvin Wong) was a main character. Also, the people at the seminars were all white – you can’t blame the program if there are no attendees from black or Middle-Eastern or Indian communities. The very fact that this program does its very best to destroy misconceptions about the autism spectrum and treats its participants with love and respect should be enough to wholeheartedly recommend it.

2. Kris on July 28th, 2020 6:24 am

Love on the spectrum is a really great show it really shows the struggle of dating for does with disabilities

• Image courtesy of Debbie Hudson via Unsplash

Looking for something to do for Valentine’s?

• Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash

Top 10 HBO MAX 2021 releases

• Photo by Rachel Park on Unsplash

Weekly food bargains in Jacksonville

• This combination of images shows  Lil Wayne performing during Hot 97

AP: Lil Wayne, Kodak Black get clemency; Joe Exotic does not

• Starter job ideas for students

Starter job ideas for students

• Courtesy UNF

Free facilitated growth program for veteran business owners

• The entrance to the Cummer Museum.

UNF sculpture professor exhibiting work at Cummer Museum

• Stress management tips

Stress management tips

• Kamala Harris is sworn in as vice president by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor as her husband Doug Emhoff holds the Bible during the 59th Presidential Inauguration at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021.(Saul Loeb/Pool Photo via AP)

Election Coverage

AP: Vice President Harris: A new chapter opens in US politics

• Photo by Daria Shevtsova via Pexels

Unique spots in Jacksonville that offer free Wi-Fi

“Love on the Spectrum” Netflix review