Dealing with the upcoming flu season among COVID-19

Aloe Suarez, Reporter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – With flu season around the corner and a pandemic surrounding us, college students may question how to prepare for the upcoming months.

Influenza viruses, commonly known as the flu, are year-round. However, the virus peaks during the fall and winter seasons. As college students prepare to leave for holiday travels and this being the first flu season during a pandemic, health researchers are concerned for a massive wave.

People with diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney diseases, among other conditions, are more prone to getting both COVID-19 and the flu.

People can also carry both types of viruses at the same time. 

Coinfection is not unheard of and is plausible as the weather gets colder. In August of this year, a journal reported by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) detailed three cases under surveillance. The top symptoms were cough, fever, shortness of breath, and myalgia, a deep muscle pain.

All three patients, ranging in age from late 40s to early 70s, were discharged in stable condition. The report states concerns that though both COVID-19 and the flu are respiratory viruses, treatment varied to address the similar symptoms.

Various forms of medication treat these infections — however, differentiating the two viruses will prove to be a difficult task.

“Bottom line is, there’s not a great deal of distinction between the two,” UNF Student Health Services chief of medical staff Dr. Frederick Beck said. “They can behave virtually identically in terms of symptoms.”

Both the flu and the coronavirus can cause coughing, fatigue, pains, chills, and fevers, though the flu tends to induce higher temperatures. Both can also cause skin irritations and muscle aches.

Whether a person has the flu or not, it is encouraged to self-quarantine.

“We do want to put them into presumptive isolation,” UNF Director of Student Health Services Dr. Valerie Morrison said. “Whether it’s the flu or it’s COVID, we don’t want it to spread to the student body.”

Another concern health researchers have for the upcoming months are myths or misunderstandings that could do more harm than good. 

Such as a flu shot will not help prevent coronavirus. Flu shots only help prevent influenza and not COVID-19, being that they are distinct types of viruses.

Another misconception is that if a person is negative for the coronavirus, it does not mean that they are not susceptible to getting the virus. Rapid testings are known for providing false negatives, which can further spread the virus.

Health researchers want to make sure that people do not need to go to work if they do not feel well. Some workplaces over the years have cultivated an expectation for employees to attend their job though they are sick, now with the pandemic, that mentality may end.

“People feel like they have to be present,” Dr.Morrison said, “even when they really should not be. It’s getting in that mindset that when you are sick, please stay home. […] We really want people to notice their symptoms and to say I need to stay away from other people, even if it’s not so bad.”

The best form of prevention is simple as social distancing, washing hands for the appropriate 2 minutes, and wearing masks correctly over the nose and chin.

For UNF students, completing the Osprey Safe App and completing the daily assessments before stepping on campus is essential to prevent spreading any type of virus.

__

• Rabbi Novack holds a schmura matza during an interview with Spinnaker. This particular matza, he said, was made in Ukraine.

UNF Chabad and Jewish Ospreys gear up for Passover celebrations at UNF

• UNF astrophysics professor Marina Kounkel (Photo courtesy of Marina Kounkel)

Education

NASA awards UNF astrophysics professor Marina Kounkel $500,000 grant

• Tom and Betty Petway Hall  Photo courtesy of UNF Digital Commons

Get into it with a roommate? Here’s what could happen

• Spinnaker Editor-in-Chief Carter Mudgett (left) interviews President Moez Limayem (right) after his first month on the job.

Behind the strategy to ensure UNF’s future

• Vendors displayed and sold their art at the queer arts market.

UNF Student Union hosts first queer arts market event

• UNF ASL graphic

Education

UNF’s ASL/English Interpreting program ranked sixth in the nation

• Career fairs can help UNF students and alumni prepare to enter the workforce and establish valuable connections with employers. (Photo courtesy of Career Services)

UNF’s career fairs are a ‘no-brainer opportunity’

• Several companies set up booths run by female representatives. (Photo courtesy of PS27)

UNF and PS27 host Female Founders Forum for aspiring female entrepreneurs

• The Green, located at the center of UNFs campus, is a popular spot for students trying to relax between classes. A smaller school than UF or FSU, many students can find quiet spots across campus to study, read and hang out.

Some UNF students having trouble with academic advisors

• Patrick Mahomes keeps his super bowl MVP mentality as he had another strong performance in the first game of the season. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Watch party on a budget: The sports editor’s guide to Super Bowl Sunday