UNF MBB loses to Division II Flagler, drops to 1-8 on the season

Riley Platt, Sports Writer

Featured Image: Connor Spielmaker

A rough start to the 2020-2021 season reached a new peak for the Ospreys when they hosted the Saints of Flagler College on Saturday evening. Flagler, an NCAA Division II program, had just a two percent chance to win according to ESPN’s win probability tracking tool. On paper, this would seem like it’d be an easy win for the Ospreys, but that was certainly not the case.

The Saints won the opening tipoff, but sloppy play ensued on both ends for the next few minutes as the teams got off to shaky starts. However, the Birds of Trey would get two buckets from three courtesy of guard Jose Placer and forward Jonathan Aybar. Across the court, Flagler guard Spencer Bain’s three-point shooting gave the Saints the lead, something they would not relinquish for the rest of the game.

The star of the night was, by far, Flagler guard Jaizec Lottie. The senior from Colorado simply could not be stopped, scoring 36 points on the night. Through just one half, Lottie had already accounted for 24 points. In a postgame press conference, UNF head coach Matthew Driscoll spoke on Lottie’s performance:

“The thing about him that makes him so difficult is the fact that he’s not afraid to pass either,” Driscoll said. “He gets four assists, no turnovers, so it isn’t just like he took 24 shots. He probably took 24 right shots too, and made some nice dimes and dishes as well.”

North Florida’s Jose Placer (15) scored a career-high 26 points for the Ospreys, but it wasn’t enough as UNF fell to Flagler on Saturday afternoon. (Ethan Hyman/The News & Observer via AP) (AP)

Once the Ospreys got down, they just couldn’t take back control of the game. Despite a hot start offensively, UNF found itself down 41-33 going into halftime. The Ospreys saw a positive start to the second half, closing within one point four minutes into the half. This boost was mainly in part to the three-point shooting of Jose Placer. When asked about this stretch, the guard revealed his mindset at the time.

“Keep it going. Get stops. Get stops,” Placer said. “I think the biggest thing is our energy is hot when we’re making shots. When we’re not hitting, our energy goes away. We’ve just got to find a way to keep that momentum going when shots aren’t falling as well.”

Despite a back and forth night, the Ospreys tied the game back up with around three minutes remaining in the second half. Unfortunately, the UNF defense struggled yet again, failing to seize control. A dunk by Flagler forward Jalen Barr sealed the deal, as the Ospreys fell by a score of 73-66.

While this was by no means a positive result, Coach Driscoll did have positive takeaways. He expressed congratulatory remarks to Flagler, stating that “They earned this thing from the get-go” and that “They were the more aggressive team.” The takeaway he chose to highlight was the play of forward Jonathan Aybar. The freshman was a presence in the paint, collecting six rebounds and three blocks. Here’s what Driscoll had to say regarding Aybar’s play:

“He played 17 minutes, and [the team] was +17 points (plus/minus statistic) when he was on the floor,” Driscoll said. “We were winning by 17 points when he was able to stay on the floor.”

Driscoll also noted that foul trouble has become an issue due to Aybar’s inexperience in college hoops. This is sure to improve as the season continues, as Aybar’s presence on the floor will be vital to success as the conference schedule is set to begin soon.

The Ospreys will have an opportunity to bounce back from this painstaking loss on Monday night when they host Edward Waters at UNF Arena. Follow along with Spinnaker News for the latest on UNF basketball.

____

• Kaila Rougier dribbles the ball

Women’s basketball topples Jacksonville in rivalry thriller, snapping four-game losing streak

• Carter Hendricksen drives on defender

Men’s basketball’s struggles continue in road loss to North Alabama

• Student union banner

It’s homecoming week at UNF. Here’s what you need to know

• A protester holds a Stop Death By Cops sign with names of black people killed by police written on it

Gallery

“No more bloodshed. No more pain,” UNF SDS student protester tells crowd at Jacksonville rally

• The Arena Parking Garage, located next to the Student Union, is open to students with a blue pass and has faculty reserved spots. During the fall 2022 semester, cars could be seen driving around the garage constantly, searching for an open spot.

SG Senate unanimously pass resolution proposing limits to faculty spots will address parking concerns

• Lyric Swann dribbles the ball up the court

Women’s basketball falls to JU in first River City Rumble meeting

• Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) speaks with Jacksonville Jaguars Head Coach Doug Pederson during the second half of an NFL divisional round playoff football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023, in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Will recent Jags’ success affect UNF student ticket deals?

• Matthew Driscoll looks down at ground during timeout

Men’s basketball drops overtime heartbreaker against Central Arkansas

• A collage that Rosenbloom created in 2022 from submitted photos with variations of one recurring message: “We remember.” (Photo courtesy of Sam Rosenbloom)

The world honors Holocaust victims today. “Never forget,” UNF student says

• Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

Awards

Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award