UNF MBB falls victim to virus shutdown

Riley Platt, Sports Writer

Featured Image: Justin Nedrow

In a college basketball season that has seen many programs have to put play on hold, the Ospreys have become the latest to join this category. In a release posted on the team’s Twitter, it was announced that there would be an “indefinite suspension of team activities” due to someone throughout the men’s basketball program testing positive for COVID-19.

The first game that was immediately affected by this was the conference opener against Stetson and the subsequent game, also against Stetson. Many programs across the country have seen many games canceled or postponed due to situations like this, especially due to isolation mandates.

While UNF has yet to announce the status of its next two games at home against Kennesaw State (Jan. 8 and 9), there is a strong chance that these games could also be canceled or postponed. It’s hard to determine whether or not the team must follow an NCAA mandated isolation period due to a lack of information regarding the nature of the positive test. 

In an absolute worst-case scenario, the Ospreys could see their first four A-Sun games wiped from the schedule. Rescheduling these matches has also been quite the dilemma, as opposing programs are having virus-issues of their own. It will certainly be interesting to see how the A-Sun conference handles situations like these, given the new back-to-back Friday and Saturday conference play format.

We will likely learn more about the likelihood of the next series happening as the date approaches, but follow along with Spinnaker News for leading coverage of UNF Ospreys basketball.

___

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services.

Students responsible for isolation plans, not university, says UNF Task Force Coordinator

• UNF COVID cases explode to highest number ever

Health

UNF COVID cases explode to highest number ever

• Joyless in Jacksonville: Ospreys drop fifth straight in heartbreaking fashion

Joyless in Jacksonville: Ospreys drop fifth straight in heartbreaking fashion

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services Team.

Join Jacksonville at this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade

• Late miscues drown Ospreys’ chance to take down the Dolphins

Late miscues drown Ospreys’ chance to take down the Dolphins

• Poll of students on the Spinnaker Instagram page earlier this week in response to the question “Do you think UNF should go remote this semester?” 49.6 percent of respondents said ‘No,’ 28.2 percent of respondents said ‘Yes,’ and 22.3 percent of respondents said for ‘Part of the semester.’ Poll created by the Spinnaker Creative Department.

Spinnaker poll finds mixed support for tighter COVID-19 precautions at UNF

• UFF-UNF logo. Courtesy of the UFF-UNF website.

Faculty raise concerns over COVID-19 in open letter to UNF Interim President Chally

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• Shooting struggles prove costly for Ospreys in loss to Liberty

Shooting struggles prove costly for Ospreys in loss to Liberty

• Shot of the front of the University of North Florida entrance and fountain. Courtesy of the UNF Athletics website.

UNF kickoffs their 50th anniversary celebration with an event full of games, prizes, and giveaways

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.