UNF MBB falls victim to virus shutdown

Riley Platt, Sports Writer

Featured Image: Justin Nedrow

In a college basketball season that has seen many programs have to put play on hold, the Ospreys have become the latest to join this category. In a release posted on the team’s Twitter, it was announced that there would be an “indefinite suspension of team activities” due to someone throughout the men’s basketball program testing positive for COVID-19.

The first game that was immediately affected by this was the conference opener against Stetson and the subsequent game, also against Stetson. Many programs across the country have seen many games canceled or postponed due to situations like this, especially due to isolation mandates.

While UNF has yet to announce the status of its next two games at home against Kennesaw State (Jan. 8 and 9), there is a strong chance that these games could also be canceled or postponed. It’s hard to determine whether or not the team must follow an NCAA mandated isolation period due to a lack of information regarding the nature of the positive test. 

In an absolute worst-case scenario, the Ospreys could see their first four A-Sun games wiped from the schedule. Rescheduling these matches has also been quite the dilemma, as opposing programs are having virus-issues of their own. It will certainly be interesting to see how the A-Sun conference handles situations like these, given the new back-to-back Friday and Saturday conference play format.

We will likely learn more about the likelihood of the next series happening as the date approaches, but follow along with Spinnaker News for leading coverage of UNF Ospreys basketball.

___