UNF MBB falls victim to virus shutdown

Riley Platt, Sports Writer

Featured Image: Justin Nedrow

In a college basketball season that has seen many programs have to put play on hold, the Ospreys have become the latest to join this category. In a release posted on the team’s Twitter, it was announced that there would be an “indefinite suspension of team activities” due to someone throughout the men’s basketball program testing positive for COVID-19.

The first game that was immediately affected by this was the conference opener against Stetson and the subsequent game, also against Stetson. Many programs across the country have seen many games canceled or postponed due to situations like this, especially due to isolation mandates.

While UNF has yet to announce the status of its next two games at home against Kennesaw State (Jan. 8 and 9), there is a strong chance that these games could also be canceled or postponed. It’s hard to determine whether or not the team must follow an NCAA mandated isolation period due to a lack of information regarding the nature of the positive test. 

In an absolute worst-case scenario, the Ospreys could see their first four A-Sun games wiped from the schedule. Rescheduling these matches has also been quite the dilemma, as opposing programs are having virus-issues of their own. It will certainly be interesting to see how the A-Sun conference handles situations like these, given the new back-to-back Friday and Saturday conference play format.

We will likely learn more about the likelihood of the next series happening as the date approaches, but follow along with Spinnaker News for leading coverage of UNF Ospreys basketball.

___

• Kaila Rougier dribbles the ball

Women’s basketball topples Jacksonville in rivalry thriller, snapping four-game losing streak

• Carter Hendricksen drives on defender

Men’s basketball’s struggles continue in road loss to North Alabama

• Student union banner

It’s homecoming week at UNF. Here’s what you need to know

• A protester holds a Stop Death By Cops sign with names of black people killed by police written on it

Gallery

“No more bloodshed. No more pain,” UNF SDS student protester tells crowd at Jacksonville rally

• The Arena Parking Garage, located next to the Student Union, is open to students with a blue pass and has faculty reserved spots. During the fall 2022 semester, cars could be seen driving around the garage constantly, searching for an open spot.

SG Senate unanimously pass resolution proposing limits to faculty spots will address parking concerns

• Lyric Swann dribbles the ball up the court

Women’s basketball falls to JU in first River City Rumble meeting

• Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) speaks with Jacksonville Jaguars Head Coach Doug Pederson during the second half of an NFL divisional round playoff football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023, in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Will recent Jags’ success affect UNF student ticket deals?

• Matthew Driscoll looks down at ground during timeout

Men’s basketball drops overtime heartbreaker against Central Arkansas

• A collage that Rosenbloom created in 2022 from submitted photos with variations of one recurring message: “We remember.” (Photo courtesy of Sam Rosenbloom)

The world honors Holocaust victims today. “Never forget,” UNF student says

• Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

Awards

Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award