“Legendary” review

Kyle McGovern, Reporter

Concerts and events have been continually canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic over the last year. UNF students can watch “Legendary,” a reality competition show that explores the New York ball culture of the LGBTQIA+ community in a modern venue. The HBO Max groundbreaking series was released on May 27, 2020. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYepGZuRLhA

Jameela Jamil, Law Roach, Leiomy Maldonado, and Megan the Stallion are permanent judges. Dashaun Wesley is the master of ceremonies/host. All houses compete in a ball which consists of dancing, voguing, and hyping the audience. 

A house wins each time, but eliminations happen after the first episode. “Legendary” status is won at the end of the series with a $100k prize for the winning house. Each episode has a different theme for a different ball. The seventh episode has no elimination. 

Photo courtesy of IMDb

“Legendary” is unique because everyone can compete together in the LGBTQIA+ ball competition series. It was renewed for a second season by HBO Max in July of 2020. It has received positive reviews because it includes trans artists, men, women, and queer people.

I personally liked the positive representation of the LGBTQIA+ community in “Legendary”. The different themes give the show a rare combination of stories that the audience loves every week. “Legendary” season 2 will surely be just as special with new themes and special guest judges each episode. HBO Max is taking the steps to advance a positive representation of the LGBTQIA+ community in the media. 

The series has a positive representation of queer people and women. I would give the series a 5 out of 5 sails.

________