Police Beat: Sticker vandalism, a misplaced backpack and stolen items

Sam Chaney, News Editor

Graphic by Rachelle Keller

When It Just Won’t Stick

UNFPD was dispatched to Bldg. 51, Rm. 1208 in response to a report of criminal mischief.

Upon arrival, a staff member told officials he had previously had a “Safe Space” sticker from the LGBT Resource Center displayed on the cork board outside of his office. However, the original sticker had reportedly been damaged by an unknown suspect.

According to the police report, the staff member had received a replacement “Safe Space” sticker and attached it to his cork board along with “a note condemning the actions of the previous sticker mutilation and affirming a safe space for any student.”

The police report states the staff member last saw the sticker and note intact on Monday, July 9 at noon. However, he reportedly returned to his office on Wednesday, July 11 at 12:30 p.m. and discovered that an unknown suspect had ripped both the new sticker and note and left them attached to his cork board.

There have also been other instances of “Safe Space” stickers being vandalized over the course of the summer.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Not One for the Books

A student contacted officials on Friday, July 20 to report a stolen book bag.

According to the police report, the student had washed her book bag using UNF laundry facilities on Wednesday, July 18. The student reportedly returned to the laundry room on July 19 to remove the book bag from a washer and place it into a dryer.

The police report states she returned on July 20 to find the book bag missing. The student told officials she had no idea who may have attempted to remove the book bag. Further investigation by an officer revealed that a member of the custodial staff had removed the book bag from the top of the dryer and placed it in lost and found.

The book bag was returned to the student.

Stolen Decal

UNFPD was dispatched to Bldg. 5 on Friday, July 20 in response to a report of a stolen vehicle decal.

Upon arrival, the victim told UNFPD he was notified by a UNF employee who works in Bldg. 15 that the decal on his truck was missing. Officials reportedly spoke to the employee who stated she noticed the missing decal on Wednesday, July 18 and was not able to notify the victim until July 20.

The police report states the victim is unsure of when or where the decal was removed, but he normally parks in front of Bldg. 5.

Patrol efforts have been suspended due to lack of suspect information.

Without Service

On Friday, July 20, officials met with a UNF staff member at Bldg. 14 in response to a report of a stolen cell phone.

The victim stated she was filling in for a coworker and working at their desk that day when she left her cell phone on the desk at approximately 4:00 p.m. The victim reportedly got up and walked to the office, which is a short distance from the desk.

According to the police report, the victim returned to the desk at approximately 4:10 p.m. and discovered the cell phone was missing. The victim told officials she searched the office and called Verizon, her provider, but was unable to track or locate the cell phone.

The only nearby employee was unable to provide further information and the victim had service on the phone discontinued.