Police Beat: Roommate problems, irresponsible driving, a stolen wallet and lewd vandalism

Sam Chaney, Managing Editor

Graphic by Rachelle Keller

Floored

University of North Florida Police Department officials arrested a local man on Monday, Aug. 20 for fleeing and attempting to elude a law enforcement officer after being ordered to stop.

According to the police report, two officers were conducting a routine traffic operation when they observed the suspect making an illegal left turn while leaving the Arena Parking Garage. The officer who observed this behavior flagged the suspect over, and the suspect slowed his vehicle and began to pull over as directed, the report states.

The suspect then reportedly floored his vehicle at a high speed, approximately 10 feet away from the second officer and another traffic violator. The police report states the officer got into his own vehicle, engaged his emergency equipment and caught up to the suspect after he had driven westbound to exit the campus.

According to the report, as the officer who drove after him began to copy down the suspect’s vehicle and tag information, the suspect himself slowed to a stop approximately 300 feet away from the intersection of I-295. The officers reportedly took the suspect into custody and cuffed him, at which point the suspect stated he did not stop because he was scared. The report states the officers advised the suspect had almost hit another officer with his vehicle. The suspect stated he “knew he had plenty of room to get by.”

The report states the officials found a small baggie of marijuana in the suspect’s front left pocket. The suspect told officers the small baggie discovered in his pocket was all he had, and that no other drugs would be found in the car. The vehicle reportedly had a strong odor of burnt marijuana, and “shake” from rerolled cigars were observed in the interior.

The officers attempted to move the suspect’s vehicle, according to the report, but it was inoperable and later towed. The officer read the suspect his miranda warnings and the suspect reportedly declined to answer any further questions.

According to the report, the suspect is not a UNF student and was on campus in order to go to the bank.

Due to the suspect’s actions and possession of marijuana, the report states officials gave him a Trespass Warning and ordered him to not return to campus.

Stolen Wallet

UNFPD was dispatched to the Thomas G. Carpenter Library on Tuesday, Aug. 21 in response to a report of theft.

Upon arrival, the victim told officials he had been in the men’s restroom at approximately 10 a.m. on the second floor of the building. He reportedly placed his books and wallet on the shelf and entered the bathroom.

The report states he took his items and left the restroom when he was done. However, he reportedly discovered his wallet missing a few minutes later and returned to unsuccessfully search for it in the immediate area.

According to the victim, the only other person in the restroom at the time was a male in a red shirt.

The police report describes the wallet as a brown leather material with $250 in cash and several credit cards and ID cards inside.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

George Lansing Taylor Jr.
Tom and Betty Petway Hall Photo courtesy of UNF Digital Commons

“… GET MONEY”

On Wednesday, Aug. 22, UNFPD was dispatched to Bldg. 57 in response to a case of criminal mischief.

The complainant told officials that at approximately 4 a.m. on Aug. 21, he entered Rm. 2050 to discover the back walls had been vandalized.

Further investigation by officials revealed an unknown suspect had entered the room and used a red permanent marker to write “F— b—— GET MONEY” on the wall and then leave, according to the police report.

There were reportedly no signs of forced entry. The complainant told officials the room was previously unsecured when he entered in order to clean it.

The police report states the complainant has advised physical facilities to remove the writing as soon as possible.

Patrol efforts have been suspended due to lack of suspect information.

Started Off on the Wrong Foot

Officials met with a complainant at the UNFPD Police Station on Monday, Aug. 28 in reference to an investigation.

The complainant, a UNF student, told officials he had awoken that morning to his roommate licking his foot. According to the report, the complainant did not say anything to his roommate and simply left for his parents’ house in a nearby county.

The police report states officials told the complainant and his father that the incident was technically battery and that he could prosecute his roommate if he wanted. The complainant reportedly declined prosecution but requested a new roommate.

Officials then spoke to the roommate at the Osprey Hall, according to the report, and informed him of why they were there. At this point, the roommate simply said, “I knew this would happen.” He reportedly went on to say that he had licked the complainant’s feet several times since the beginning of the semester and had been indulging in such behavior since middle school.

The report states the roommate accepted officials’ offer of counseling.

UNFPD then transported him to the Counseling Center. The R.A. was notified of the incident.