River City Rumble: Volleyball Preview

Drew McDonald, Sports Editor

The River City Rumble begins on Tuesday, Sept. 25 when the UNF Volleyball team (5-13, 0-2 ASUN) takes on the Jacksonville University Dolphins (1-14, 0-3 ASUN).

Photo by Khorri Newton

After losing all three matches this past weekend, UNF looks to right the ship against JU. Some players to watch during the match are Redshirt-Sophomore Gabby O’Connell, who has recorded at least 10 kills in the past three matches. Junior Taryn Griffey, who is currently averaging a .299 hitting percentage, has brought energy and effort on the court throughout the season. Senior Madilyn McCarty is the team’s leader in assists and has had at least 20 assists in fifteen matches. McCarty made history against FGCU when she achieved 3,000 career assists throughout her collegiate career.

The Dolphins are currently on an eight-game losing skid and are also looking for their first conference win. Junior Mallory Mattingly leads the team in kills with 207. Senior Lauren Petersen has set up a team-high 438 assists. Sophomore Hannah Marchand has been a stone wall for the Dolphins, blocking 45 shots.

According to UNF Athletics, the River City Rumble has been going on since 2005. The team that wins the most games/matches head to head wins the Old Wooden Barrel. The Dolphins won the barrel last year, but UNF has won the barrel more times than JU since 2005.

With new coaches on each side debuting in their first River City Rumble match, it should be a high-energy atmosphere at UNF Arena on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 6:00 p.m.