Ospreys early offense leads to 8-0 shutout over Owls

UNF’s hitters struck first, struck hard, and had no mercy as they opened the weekend series with an 8-0 win over Kennesaw State.

Brett Nweeia
Senior Brad Depperman delivers the pitch.

It all started in the bottom of the first when Juniors Tanner Murphy, David Maberry, and Blake Marabell combined to drive in four runs for an early 4-0 lead.

Senior Chris Berry sliced a ball over the left field wall for a solo homer and Redshirt-Senior Wes Weeks plated a run on a single to left as they padded the lead to 6-0, Ospreys.

The Ospreys kept on rolling in the bottom of the third as Berry plated a run on a bases-loaded-walk and Marabell scored on a sacrifice fly for an 8-0 UNF lead.

Senior Brad Depperman was on the mound for UNF and didn’t let that large 8-0 lead get to his head as he tossed seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits while punching out seven.

Freshman Zach Chappell took over on the mound in the eighth and continued to hold the Owls scoreless which led to the 8-0 win.

Worth Noting

Berry and Marabell each collected two RBI’s.

Depperman earned his sixth win of the season and lowered his earned run average to 2.27.

The win improved the Ospreys record to 29-20 (10-8 ASUN) and the loss dropped the Owls to 23-27 (8-11 ASUN).

Both teams face off in game two of the series on Saturday, May 11 at 2:05 p.m.

__