Maberry’s monster night leads Ospreys to 7-6 win

Drew McDonald, Sports Editor

In a back and forth battle between UNF and Stetson, the Ospreys emerged victorious with Junior David Maberry leading the charge with four RBI’s.

Brett Nweeia
Sophomore Abraham Sequera takes a swing.

Maberry got the offense going early with an RBI single to left in the first inning for a 1-0 UNF lead.

Junior Jorge Arenas tied the game at one after an RBI single to center in the first and Junior Andrew MacNeil later scored on a fielder’s choice in the for a 2-1 Hatters lead at the end of the first.

The Ospreys roared back in the third as RBI singles from Juniors Tanner Murphy and Maberry put the Ospreys up, 4-2.

Senior Chris Berry helped the Ospreys tack on another run in the fifth on an RBI triple to left for a 5-2 lead.

Maberry plated two on an RBI single to left as the doors were blown wide open for a 7-2 lead.

A bases-loaded-walk in the sixth followed by a pair of RBI doubles in the seventh had the Hatters on the cusp of tying the game at seven but couldn’t capitalize in a 7-6 UNF win.

Worth Noting

Three Ospreys had multi-hit games (Berry, Murphy, Maberry).

The Hatters left 11 men on base in the 7-6 loss.

Before game two of the series, UNF had already clinched a spot in the ASUN Baseball Championship Tournament.

The win improves UNF to 31-22 (12-10 ASUN) and the loss drops Stetson to 23-30 (10-12 ASUN).

The Hatters and Ospreys play a rubber match for their final regular season game on Saturday, May 18 at 1 p.m.

__