Griffey, Cestero lead Ospreys in sweep over Bruins

Zach Yearwood, Sports Reporter

Video by: Brett Nweeia

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k81ZY7RW7E[/embedyt]

The Ospreys won their first match of the weekend against Belmont with a 3-0 sweep. Taryn Griffey and Solimar Cestero contributed with strong performances.

The Ospreys started the match strong, taking an early 5-2 lead. Belmont kept it close for most of the set, but UNF was able to maintain their momentum throughout, not losing the lead at any point in the set. The Ospreys were able to pull away toward the end. UNF’s libero, Rocio Moro, ended the set with a service ace to win 25-16. Belmont’s Lauren Walsh led all in kills with five.

The Bruins took their first lead of the match early in the second set when they scored four unanswered points to take a 4-2 lead. There were 10 lead changes and 16 ties throughout the competitive set. Neither side led by more than two for most of the set. Despite being down 22-19 late in the set, the Ospreys scored four unanswered points and won the set 25-23.

Taryn Griffey led the team in kills (7) going into the break.

“I felt fresh. The team was in a really good mood this morning. We had really good vibes and it got me really hype for this match,” Griffey said.

The Ospreys came out of the break strong, scoring five unanswered points including two kills from sophomore Solimar Cestero, she recorded three more kills in the set. The team won the decisive third set 25-18.Griffey and Cestero led the team in kills with 10 apiece.

“In the second set, we made the game tight on ourselves,” Coach Wright said when asked about adjustments made during the break, “cutting down those errors is our aim of focus while still putting up those points we need to win.”

The Ospreys take on LIU later today at 7 p.m.

__