Minor League Baseball season cancelled; Jumbo Shrimp look towards 2021

John Watson, Sports Editor

As the MLB gets ready to begin a shortened season in late July, an announcement earlier today has shut the door on the possibility of minor league baseball in 2020.

The MiLB announced at 5 p.m. tuesday that there will be no minor league baseball played due to the recent spread of Covid-19. The statement from the MiLB is seen in their twitter post from earlier today:

While this is not surprising to many, this means there will be no Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Games to attend in 2020. No post-game fireworks, no awesome giveaways and no baseball.

However, 121 Financial Ballpark, the stadium where the Jumbo Shrimp play home games, will be hosting events this summer. An annual independence day fireworks display will be held at the stadium and the event will host a max capacity of 2,000 spectators following social distancing guidelines on friday, July 3rd.

If you bought individual game tickets for the 2020 season, you will receive a credit to your Jumbo Shrimp ticket account. This credit can be used towards 2021 game tickets, season tickets, or mini-plans. You cannot buy 2021 tickets yet, as the season calendar will be announced at a later date.

While we wait until next summer to see the Jumbo Shrimp back on the diamond, please continue to be safe and follow community and state guidelines surrounding Covid-19.

___

• FILE - Rapper Kanye West speaks during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House with President Donald Trump, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018, in Washington. Kanye West was escorted out of the California headquarters of athletic shoemaker Skechers Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022 after he showed up unannounced. Skechers says West, also known as Ye, also engaged in unauthorized filming at its corporate headquarters in Manhattan Beach and was escorted out by two executives. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

OPINION: Does canceling really work?

• (freestocks/Unsplash)

It’s officially cuffing season, celebrate the holiday season with some date ideas!

• DeSantis

The future of DeSantis’s “Stop Woke Act” in Florida after federal judge ruling

• Blessing Offor performing at the Saint Augustine Amphitheatre in Saint Augustine, Florida on November 2nd, 2022.

Through the eyes of a photographer: November

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Chaz Lanier drives to the rim

Men’s basketball thrashes Trinity Baptist with all-hands-on-deck performance

• Emma Broermann goes to the rim

Women’s basketball falls short, suffers tough loss to Saint Joseph’s

• Tim Weah celebrates following opening goal of USMNTs World Cup experience

Student Government hosting World Cup watch party on campus

• Syril Karn (left, Kyle Soller) and Cassian Andor (right, Diego Luna) in Andor. (Courtesy of Lucasfilm)

Review: Booting the flashy heroes, ‘Andor’ turns the spotlight on ordinary people

• Photo courtesy of University of North Florida.

UNF rolls out plans for a dedicated graduate commencement ceremony, administrator says