Guide to a vegan Thanksgiving

Kaitlyn Bowers, Features Editor

Thanksgiving can be a tough time for vegetarians and vegans alike. With the holiday meal traditionally being centered around a roasted bird, it may take a little outside-of-the-box thinking to transform the traditional Thanksgiving meal into a vegan’s delight. 

Here’s a few tips to a plant-based Thanksgiving dinner that even your most carnivorous cousin can enjoy.

Graphic by Jill Responte

Stick to the side dishes

Some of the greatest aspects of a Thanksgiving dinner are in the side dishes. Sweet potato pie, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese—all of these sides can easily be made vegan with just a few extra steps and ingredients. With most recipes, it’s hard to even tell the dish is vegan. 

Don’t be afraid to mix it up

While Thanksgiving is usually focused on the classics, remember that it’s okay to mix it up and add in some non-traditional dishes. A quick Google search of “vegan recipes” can open up a whole other world of possibilities. 

Bring food to snack on

Most people’s tactic on Thanksgiving is to wait to eat until the big meal of the day in order to ensure maximum intake. However, those with a plant-based diet don’t have to worry about being weighed down by turkey and ham. If your Thanksgiving meal is an entire day affair, try to bring some veggies and dip to snack on. 

Don’t be afraid of plant-based meat alternatives

The term “tofurkey” can strike fear into the hearts of vegans and omnivores alike. While plant-based meat alternatives are usually given a bad rep, there are many options that are just as good as the real thing. Jackfruit, a fruit that tastes like pulled pork when cooked, is a great meat alternative to try this holiday season. 

Remember it’s not all about the food

With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday, it can be difficult to remember what Thanksgiving is truly about—being thankful. Food or no food, this holiday is a perfect time to give thanks in all aspects of your life. In the time of a pandemic, it’s especially important to feel gratitude for what we do have in our lives. 

Regardless of what you eat on Thanksgiving, remember to stay safe and social distance. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

__

• White text reads BeReal. You friends for real.

Time to BeReal: social media without the filters

• Flight School orientation leaders getting ready to welcome new students.Courtesy of UNF.

Flight School welcomes incoming UNF freshmen to the Osprey Nest

• Teresa Steele wears a white jacket with the name TERESA written in black sharpie on it and stands next to a young child wearing a black hoodie. The child is holding a baby wearing red and white.

UNF nurse spends 30 years helping people in underdeveloped countries

• Professor Charles Fitzsimmons. Courtesy of Charles Fitzsimmons.

Professors before they were professors: Charles Fitzsimmons

• A laptop with a Zoom class on a desk with a coffee mug

Online programs offer education, regardless of location

• The gallery of Kara Walkers art at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA).

Artist Kara Walker explores race, gender and violence in work displayed at the MOCA

• Mid-wind-up, Jumbo Shrimp pitcher starts to throw the ball off the pitching mound

Through the eyes of a photographer: July

• The Clubhouse (glass doors on right) and Osprey Cove (brick building on the left). (Photo courtesy of UNF)

Housing reservations open up: What to know and quick tips

• Photo by tabitha turner on Unsplash.

Business

Local bakeries that will bake you smile

• person annoyed on phone call

FEATURED

How you can finally stop annoying spam calls