UNF PORL releases results from poll on Lot J construction, Jaguars leadership approval rating

John Watson, Sports Editor

What do Jacksonville residents think about Lot J construction, Shad Khan’s approval rating and Lenny Curry’s time in office? The UNF Public Opinion Research Lab (PORL) conducted a recent poll of Jacksonville registered voters to get an idea of what Jacksonville’s residents had to think. 

In the press release, the findings were very intriguing as a majority of Jacksonville residents oppose the construction of new development where Lot J stands today. When asked whether they support or oppose the City of Jacksonville spending $233 million to fund the project, 54% of respondents said they strongly or somewhat oppose it, with 43% supporting either strongly or somewhat.

This Lot J construction would add new entertainment venues to downtown and add a luxury hotel, retail stores and various restaurants.

Another part of the poll was the approval ratings of some of Jacksonville’s most highly referenced figures. Jaguars owner Shad Khan, mayor Lenny Curry and Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone were on the poll as their approval ratings seem to be dropping.

From the release: When asked about the job Lenny Curry is doing as Jacksonville Mayor, 42% said they approve, with 56% saying they disapprove. The Jacksonville City Council garnered higher approval, at 49%, while 47% said they disapprove. Curry’s approval is down several points from UNF’s June 2020 survey when it was at 45% approval and June 2019 at 46% approval.

Regarding the Jacksonville Jaguars, owner Shad Khan had 40% approval, but just 20% approve of Doug Marrone’s job performance. Khan and Marrone’s approval ratings saw a marked decline since PORL’s Jax Speaks Survey in October of 2017, when they were 65% and 58%, respectively.

Also on the poll were questions about new stadium renovations, the importance of having a football team in Jacksonville and even a poll on recent city partnerships with Shad Khan including the performance of Daily’s Place.

All the data and more information can be seen in the press release.

__

• FILE - Rapper Kanye West speaks during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House with President Donald Trump, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018, in Washington. Kanye West was escorted out of the California headquarters of athletic shoemaker Skechers Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022 after he showed up unannounced. Skechers says West, also known as Ye, also engaged in unauthorized filming at its corporate headquarters in Manhattan Beach and was escorted out by two executives. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

OPINION: Does canceling really work?

• (freestocks/Unsplash)

It’s officially cuffing season, celebrate the holiday season with some date ideas!

• DeSantis

The future of DeSantis’s “Stop Woke Act” in Florida after federal judge ruling

• Blessing Offor performing at the Saint Augustine Amphitheatre in Saint Augustine, Florida on November 2nd, 2022.

Through the eyes of a photographer: November

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Chaz Lanier drives to the rim

Men’s basketball thrashes Trinity Baptist with all-hands-on-deck performance

• Emma Broermann goes to the rim

Women’s basketball falls short, suffers tough loss to Saint Joseph’s

• Tim Weah celebrates following opening goal of USMNTs World Cup experience

Student Government hosting World Cup watch party on campus

• Syril Karn (left, Kyle Soller) and Cassian Andor (right, Diego Luna) in Andor. (Courtesy of Lucasfilm)

Review: Booting the flashy heroes, ‘Andor’ turns the spotlight on ordinary people

• Photo courtesy of University of North Florida.

UNF rolls out plans for a dedicated graduate commencement ceremony, administrator says