Ospreys open ASUN tournament with win over Stetson, take 1-0 series lead

John Watson, Sports Editor

Featured Image: Justin Nedrow

In the postseason, every pitch matters. Whether it be a 1-2 curveball in the bottom of the second or a 3-1 fastball down the middle in the top of the eighth, every pitch matters. In their first game of the postseason, UNF used a never-back-down mentality and a well-rounded performance to defeat the Stetson Hatters 5-4.

Getting off to a hot start is most likely what the Ospreys had envisioned when they stepped onto the grass and dirt at Harmon Stadium and began their preparations for Friday’s game. As the top of the first inning got underway, it was apparent to the Ospreys that these Hatter hitters were there to win.

OF/ LHP Austin Bogart is 2-0 on the mound against Stetson this year, allowing just six earned runs in 21.2 innings (Justin Nedrow)

In the first inning, the Hatters would score three runs with two singles, a double and a two-run home run by Eric Foggo. While this would put the Hatters up early, the Ospreys would chip away to earn a run back on an Alex Kachler RBI double. Things would calm down in this one as both teams were blanked in the second and third innings.

In the fourth, UNF kept on their mission of chipping away at the Hatters lead and scored another run on two consecutive doubles to bring the deficit to just one. Things were now about to get interesting in Jacksonville.

The sixth inning is where the tides turned, and Stetson found themselves with their first postseason deficit of 2021. While they would score their fourth run in the top half of the inning, the Ospreys would string together a few hits highlighted by a Blake Marabell two-run moonshot to left. UNF was now up 5-4 on Marabell’s fourth home run of the year against Stetson.

At this point in the game, the Ospreys were still backing their starting pitcher, Austin Bogart, who is a former Hatter. UNF would get a career-high eight innings out of Bogart, and he would be relieved by Brandon Reitz in the ninth. Reitz had the right stuff and pitched a 1-2-3 inning to get the save and give the Ospreys a 1-0 series lead.

In a game where nine Ospreys had one or more hits, there was much to like about the outcome of this contest. However, there is still work to be done as this rivalry will continue with the second game of the best-of-three series on Saturday at 2 p.m. 

Capacity is limited to 500 fans, though, so don’t wait too long to get your tickets! All games will also be streamed on ESPN+ for those who can’t make it to Harmon Stadium. Follow along with Spinnaker for the latest on UNF baseball.

____

• Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

Awards

Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

• UNF Student Union

Less than 1% of state-supplied budget put toward CRT, DEI initiatives, UNF reports

• Campi. Graphic by Spinnaker.

Campi: A new app creating opportunities at UNF developed by student

• Graphic reads National Slavery & Human Trafficking Prevention Month in big blue letters against a white background

Jacksonville

January is Human Trafficking Prevention Month: What do you need to know?

• UNF to propose housing rental rate increase at February BOT meeting, first increase in 8 years

UNF to propose housing rental rate increase at February BOT meeting, first increase in 8 years

• A tough loss Saturday puts a damper on the momentum that had been built following Thursdays win over Queens.

Men’s basketball falls to Liberty in first home loss of season

• Carter Hendricksen drives to the paint

Hendricksen’s career night leads men’s basketball past Queens

• Jaguars cornerback Darious Williams at training camp in 2022.

Football

Jaguars look to continue miracle run against Chiefs in Divisional round

• Graphic depicting a helping hand being offered to someone with a bad case of the January Blues.

Why is January called the most depressing month of the year?

• Performers announced for UNF’s OzFestival 2023; some students disappointed

Performers announced for UNF’s OzFestival 2023; some students disappointed