Former Senate President resigns ahead of Senate impeachment trial; “I have been targeted, singled out, and treated incredibly unfairly”

Carter Mudgett, Student Government Reporter

The Senate convened Friday afternoon to discuss, among other business, the Articles of Impeachment brought against former Senate President Rachel Saunders. However, all future hearings on the issue have been canceled after Saunders submitted her resignation. 

Articles of Impeachment had been brought against Saunders as her involvement in a group chat was brought to the forefront of UNF’s attention. Over the past few months, we have watched as the Primary Court and the Supreme Court of UNF put Saunders on trial, but she was eventually found in violation of 1/3 of the accused charges. 

In lieu of the recent news, Student Government is looking towards the future of the organization. At Friday’s Senate meeting, Student Body President Selma Besirevic spoke to senators about the importance of maintaining a “professional environment” within SG moving forward.

Nominations to fill the recently vacated role of Senate President have begun, with three already made. The Senate will convene again on July 16 to open the floor for more nominations, as well as vote on who will ultimately fill the position. 

Spinnaker has requested Saunders’s resignation letter and will continue to update this story.

____

• An aircraft lands at the international airport in Frankfurt, Germany

General

Having trouble with flying lately? You’re not alone.

• A crowd of people listen to a speaker

Abortion

‘We need to take action’: Protesters respond to SCOTUS decision at Jacksonville rally

• demonstrators outside the Supreme Court protest about abortion

General

Abortion no longer a constitutional right, Jacksonville protests planned

• Downtown Jacksonville Landing View of St.Johns River.

General

Jacksonville celebrates 200th birthday

• A Wear Orange banner reads we can end gun violence on a fence at Success Park during a clean-up event

Locals look to brighter future with ‘Wear Orange’ park clean-up

• A red sign with white text reads: FOR HIRE

Good part-time summer jobs for students

• NOAA Satellites depicts Hurricane Humberto on September 15, 2019.

General

NOAA expects above-average Atlantic hurricane season for seventh consecutive year

• A cartoon globe sits against a blue background. Visualization of sound is placed in white at the top of the image. Text curved around the globe reads: The Tele-everything World

General

The “Tele-Everything” World

• The University of North Floridas prior president headshots are shown on the left next to president-elect Dr. Moez Limayem on the right.

Dr. Moez Limayem chosen as UNF president-elect, awaiting BOG confirmation

• UNF Sculpture Program to bring potatoes to Germany

UNF Sculpture Program to bring potatoes to Germany