Complaints of false claims and defamation filed in SG election

Hannah Lee

The United Party lists several party accomplishments that the Red Party has also claimed. Photo courtesy United Party Facebook page

Complaints of slander, lies and signage violations have surfaced regarding this election cycle. The election is one week away and the United Party and the Red Party have each filed complaints against each other.

The first complaint was filed by Red Party presidential candidate, Samantha Mims, against the UNF United Party on Feb. 17. Her file stated that the UNF United Party claimed that two of their “party accomplishments” were false. These two party accomplishments in question are the Veterans Memorial and the 25 Free Prints Initiative.

Mims stated in the complaint that she sent an email to Katherine Thames, the United Party Campaign Manager, regarding these issues, but Thames never responded.

The second complaint is a response to the first. It was filed by Thames on Feb. 22 and is against Mims. The complaint states that Mims defamed the United Party by misrepresenting the party through her complaint and that she made several claims.

“Mims goes beyond simply accusing the United Party of actions, but attempts to represent its intentions,” Thames stated in her complaint.

“Not only was the statement printed and written, but it was done in such a manner (a Judicial Complaint) to damage the reputation and turn court and readers of the JC (which would be made accessible to the student body population of UNF as a public record file) against the UNF United Party.”

The third complaint was filed by Red Party vice-presidential candidate Tajmaus Johnson against the United Party. In the complaint, he stated that the United Party failed to include a date on their signs, which is required by university policy.

Mims, left, and Tajmaus Johnson of the Red Party.Photo courtesy the Red Party Facebook

The Facts

Spinnaker will continue to follow this story and post updates as more information becomes available.

1 Comment

One Response to “Complaints of false claims and defamation filed in SG election”

1. ad2017 on March 1st, 2017 8:54 am

Meanwhile…The recently passed HRO…(legally invalid).

http://lc.org/030117JacksonvilleComplaintFinal.pdf

** press conference at the courthouse this morning at 10:30 AM to introduce the lawsuit.

Plaintiff brings this action to declare null and void, and enjoin enforcement of,Ordinance 2017-15-E, the so-called “Human Rights Ordinance” or “HRO,” as having been adopted in violation of Florida Statutes, the Jacksonville Ordinance Code, and the Rules of the Council of the City of Jacksonville

The numerous violations of state and local law contained in the HRO are not the result of mere careless draftsmanship. Rather, the violations result from the intentional omission of plain and obvious legal requirements, by the ordinance authors and sponsors, to deceive the Jacksonville public, City Council, and Mayor as to the true contents and scope of the HRO.11 The principal author of the HRO confessed, “I did write a new version of the bill that was only five pages long and worked with some of the top lawyers and law firms in the city to get it into a form that was the product of what we’d learned since 2012 about how to message . . . .”Jimmy Midyette shares ups and downs of emotional five-year journey to HRO victory,

[Reply]

• Complaints of false claims and defamation filed in SG election

Summer A: On campus happy hour deals

UNF prepared to spend $100,000 on a search firm to elect new president

Former UNF student charged with soliciting sex from minor

Important Dates for Summer 2017

UNF student pleads not guilty to cyberstalking charges

A very long list of Summer A business hours

West Mims fire continues to spread; Duval County under smoke advisory

UNF student arrested, accused of cyberstalking

Nationally known fraternity hoping to start chapter at UNF

Two dead in Texas community college shooting