UFF release statement on student protests

[Updated May 7: A previous version of this article mistakenly reported that all 16 protestors arrested were released on their recognizance and that eight of the 16 individuals were students. Three protestors posted bail after their initial court hearing, and nine of the 16 individuals were students. Spinnaker takes errors seriously and apologizes for the error. The story has been updated with the correct information.]

The steering committee for the United Faculty of Florida, the parent organization of UNF’s faculty union, released a statement on Monday night expressing their agreement with the American Association of University Professors’ statement about university students’ right to free expression and peaceful protest on college campuses.

Per UFF’s statement, “UFF joins with other unions and AAUP chapters in calling on institutional leaders in Florida and across the country to ‘reinstate student organizations shut down in recent months for political activity, to drop charges against peaceful protesters, to observe due process in disciplinary actions, to keep armed law enforcement off campuses, and to uphold fundamental freedoms for students and faculty.’”

UFF’s statement comes after weeks of student protests across the country, including last week’s protest at UNF, regarding Israel’s war in Gaza. 

On their recognizance, 13 protestors on UNF’s campus were released on May 3, meaning they were not required to post bail, while three individuals posted bail. However, they must attend their next court date and follow any additional conditions for release. According to police reports from the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, nine of the 16 protestors arrested were students, with the remaining seven being individuals outside the UNF community.

When asked whether the students arrested will go through UNF’s Student Conduct disciplinary process, a spokesperson for the university did not provide any information, citing an “ongoing investigation”

Spinnaker contacted UFF-UNF for comment but did not receive a response before publication.  

This is a developing story. Stay with Spinnaker as we continue to cover the students arrested and the university’s response.

___