Ospreys Volleyball swept by Liberty in conference opener

Photo by Khorri Newton

In the conference opener, the Liberty Flames’ relentless attack against the Ospreys led to their 3-0 match victory.

In the first set, the Flames started out the set firing on all cylinders, establishing an 11-6 lead at the first timeout. After the timeout, the offense started clicking for the Ospreys. Sophomore Devyn Wheeler and Redshirt-Sophomore Gabby O’Connell fueled the attack with a combined eight kills. The set was neck and neck until Liberty finally pulled away with a 25-23 victory. Liberty’s Anna Gragg led the Flames with six kills.

Throughout the second set, Liberty had their foot on the gas pedal, leading the way towards a 25-13 win. The Flames recorded a .591 hitting percentage in the set, the Ospreys had a .030 attack percentage. O’Connell hammered out three kills in set 2.

After a back and forth battle on both sides, Liberty won the final set, 25-23. Gragg and Casey Goodwin led the way for the Flames with a combined 26 kills throughout the match.

O’Connell was the lone player with double digit kills for the night with 10.

“You have to bring your ‘A’ game and we didn’t today. Most of the game, we were playing on our heels,” Coach Kristen Wright said.

The Ospreys play FGCU at home on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 6 p.m.