The new menu at The Boathouse is a winner

Steven Thompson

When I learned from a colleague that The Boathouse Classic American Bar and Grille, located at the John A. Delaney Student Union, added new menu items, I knew I wanted to go.

Photo by Steven Thompson.

It took me two years to actually go inside to try the food and I’m glad I did.

The new menu, developed by campus Executive Chef Brook Adams, includes fried pickles, tacos, design your own burrito bowls and many more.

The Boathouse opened promptly at 11 a.m. on this hot and steamy Saturday. While waiting for the server, I was pleased by its clean appearance.

From the new menu, I ordered fish tacos with herb fries and fried pickles with the special comeback sauce. As I waited for my food to arrive, I helped myself to a cup of Mug’s vanilla root beer.

Photo by Steven Thompson.

The atmosphere is casual and there are a number of televisions, so you never miss any game action.

The server brought my meal out in less than 15 minutes after taking my order.

If you’ve never tried fried pickles, try them at The Boathouse. Their fried pickles are delicious and the paprika and special comeback sauce give it just the right kick.

Photo by Steven Thompson.

The herb fries were crispy outside but moist and tender inside and not greasy. These fries are perfect as is. Adding ketchup would be an injustice.

Two crispy tilapia fish tacos served with slaw and pico arrived on flour tortillas. This is a dish I would expect to eat in Florida. The tilapia was fresh and moist and not dry from overcooking.

Photo by Steven Thompson.

I think The Boathouse is a great stop on campus to kick back and watch a football game and grab some great food. My meal was less than $20 dollars, though if you have a meal plan, you can expect to pay even less.

If you happen to already be on campus or are in the area, try The Boathouse; it’s worth the trip.