Hatters sweep Ospreys in three

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtItV8Yb0Ig[/embedyt]

With a strong defense, the Stetson Hatters (10-6, 2-2 ASUN) limited the Ospreys (6-16, 1-5 ASUN) to a minimal offense and won the match in three straight sets.

Stetson had the upper hand throughout the entire first set as they defeated the Ospreys, 25-21. Junior Taryn Griffey hammered out five kills and collected three digs throughout the set.

In the second set, the Hatters won 25-19 and continued to take advantage of North Florida’s hitting miscues as the Ospreys hit .119 in the second set.

Stetson continued to ride their wave of momentum as they beat the Ospreys, 25-22 in the third set to win the match. North Florida attempted a comeback at a 22-24 score but it was too late.

Coach Kristen Wright broke down the Ospreys’ performance against Stetson’s stellar defense.

“Stetson is the top backcourt defensive team in our conference right now, she explained. “We had to change our game plan up because we’re used to seeing one blocker up. In the beginning, they were digging us. In the third set, we needed to adjust because their game plan was to attack our donut (middle of court) and keep the ball in play and cause us to air out and it worked.”

Khorri Newton 

The Ospreys recorded a low .113 hitting percentage throughout the match. Some players who stood out in the match were Redshirt-Sophomore Gabby O’Connell who led the team in kills (9) and digs (13), and Senior Madilyn McCarty who set up twenty-three assists in the match, leading the squad.

UNF takes on NJIT on the road on Friday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m.