Knights charge past Ospreys in extra innings

After leading for the first four innings, the Ospreys bullpen faltered which resulted in a 9-7 extra inning loss.

Brett Nweeia
Sophomore Abraham Sequera takes a swing.

The Knights were sloppy on the field in the bottom of the first by allowing four runs on three errors. Two of those four runs were on a double by Junior Austin Hurwitz that scored a pair for the early 4-0 lead.

UCF countered in the top of the second with a two-run jack to center by Redshirt-Senior Tyler Osik to cut the Ospreys lead to 4-2.

After a quick two innings, the Knights added a run in the top of the fifth on an RBI double to left by Junior Dallas Beaver as UCF trailed, 4-3.

The Knights finally tied it up at four in the top of the seventh with an RBI groundout.

Junior Blake Marabell erased the six inning scoring drought by driving in a run on an RBI single to left in the bottom of the seventh for a 5-4 UNF lead.

The UNF bullpen was folding in the top of the ninth as Redshirt-Junior Hunter Bowling allowed a bases loaded walk to Beaver as the Knights tied it up at five.

UNF got out of the ninth with a tied game and the Knights finally broke out in the top of the eleventh by scoring four runs for a 9-5 lead.

The Ospreys attempted to mount a comeback in the bottom of the eleventh with RBI’s from Marabell and Senior Chris Berry but it was all for not as UCF won, 9-7.

Worth Noting

Berry and Marabell were the only batters with a multi-hit game (2).

The Ospreys and Knights recorded three errors apiece throughout the game.

The win improves UCF to 27-18 (8-11 AAC) and the loss drops UNF to 26-18 (8-6 ASUN).

The Ospreys head to Nashville to take on Lipscomb for a weekend series starting on Friday, May 3 at 7 p.m.

__