UNF ducks mysteriously die; virus to blame

Courtney Green, Managing Editor

***See an update on this story here.***

What was initially thought to be a case of “fowl play” on UNF’s campus turned out to be the work of a virus — and before anyone starts panicking about 2020’s prospects, it’s a duck virus this time.

Howard the Duck. Photo credit Jonathan Merrin.

On July 10, a UPD officer was dispatched to The Flats in reference to several dead ducks located on the premises. According to the report, the ducks were initially thought to have been killed by someone.

The dispatched officer observed blood around the mouth of one duck.

However, the Florida Wildlife Commission was contacted and after speaking with an assigned biologist, it was determined that the ducks likely died of a “duck virus” that has been going around. Blood coming from the mouth is consistent with this scenario.

The bodies of the deceased ducks were disposed of and patrol efforts were suspended.

___

• Students stand in line for Qdoba

Food

SG efforts bring a new dining experience to campus: Qdoba

• UNF IT email alert

UNF disables access to university accounts without Duo app

• empty shelves

OPINION: Put the cart down, panic buying is no good

• A soccer player running toward a ball

Men’s soccer takes inaugural meeting against ASUN’s newest member

• Soccer player protects ball from defender

Late goal propels women’s soccer to shorthanded win in ASUN home opener

• Colonel Crackers, a giant goldfish floating in the lake outside the library, on its side by shore

Gallery

Colonel Crackers down!: UNF begins cleanup after Hurricane Ian

• Coastal Watches/Warnings and Forecast Cone for Storm Center as of 1 p.m. Thursday

Hurricane Ian

Free Wi-Fi hotspots available amidst power outages, some UNF services to resume after Ian

• As Floridians rush to prepare for Hurricane Ian, this Shell gas station by the University of North Florida was already out of gas by Wednesday.

Hurricane Ian

Category 4 Hurricane Ian brings ‘catastrophic’ storm surge, winds to Florida

• UNF flag flies in the wind

Hurricane Ian puts UNF athletic events on hold

• “Earth is now our only shareholder” Patagonia owner gives away billion-dollar company to fight climate crisis

Business

“Earth is now our only shareholder” Patagonia owner gives away billion-dollar company to fight climate crisis

4

• S

SarahJul 14, 2020 at 5:22 pm

IS HOWARD STILL ALIVE WE NEED TO KNOW

• C

ConcernedCitizen2Jul 14, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Is Howard still alive?

• S

Shannon FJul 14, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Everyone thinks Howard died because of this article title and picture. Most people actually do not read the whole article so this is alluding to fake news and people jumping to conclusions. It is pretty messed up to do this because now there are rumors going around.

• C

ConcernedCitizenJul 14, 2020 at 10:53 am

How is Howard dealing with these losses?