UNF ducks mysteriously die; virus to blame

Courtney Green, Managing Editor

***See an update on this story here.***

What was initially thought to be a case of “fowl play” on UNF’s campus turned out to be the work of a virus — and before anyone starts panicking about 2020’s prospects, it’s a duck virus this time.

Howard the Duck. Photo credit Jonathan Merrin.

On July 10, a UPD officer was dispatched to The Flats in reference to several dead ducks located on the premises. According to the report, the ducks were initially thought to have been killed by someone.

The dispatched officer observed blood around the mouth of one duck.

However, the Florida Wildlife Commission was contacted and after speaking with an assigned biologist, it was determined that the ducks likely died of a “duck virus” that has been going around. Blood coming from the mouth is consistent with this scenario.

The bodies of the deceased ducks were disposed of and patrol efforts were suspended.

___

• The Arena Parking Garage, located next to the Student Union, is open to students with a blue pass and has faculty reserved spots. During the fall 2022 semester, cars could be seen driving around the garage constantly, searching for an open spot.

SG Senate unanimously pass resolution proposing limits to faculty spots will address parking concerns

• Lyric Swann dribbles the ball up the court

Women’s basketball falls to JU in first River City Rumble meeting

• Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) speaks with Jacksonville Jaguars Head Coach Doug Pederson during the second half of an NFL divisional round playoff football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023, in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Will recent Jags’ success affect UNF student ticket deals?

• Matthew Driscoll looks down at ground during timeout

Men’s basketball drops overtime heartbreaker against Central Arkansas

• A collage that Rosenbloom created in 2022 from submitted photos with variations of one recurring message: “We remember.” (Photo courtesy of Sam Rosenbloom)

The world honors Holocaust victims today. “Never forget,” UNF student says

• Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

Awards

Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

• UNF Student Union

Less than 1% of state-supplied budget put toward CRT, DEI initiatives, UNF reports

• Campi. Graphic by Spinnaker.

Campi: A new app creating opportunities at UNF developed by student

• Graphic reads National Slavery & Human Trafficking Prevention Month in big blue letters against a white background

Jacksonville

January is Human Trafficking Prevention Month: What do you need to know?

• UNF to propose housing rental rate increase at February BOT meeting, first increase in 8 years

UNF to propose housing rental rate increase at February BOT meeting, first increase in 8 years

4

• S

SarahJul 14, 2020 at 5:22 pm

IS HOWARD STILL ALIVE WE NEED TO KNOW

• C

ConcernedCitizen2Jul 14, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Is Howard still alive?

• S

Shannon FJul 14, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Everyone thinks Howard died because of this article title and picture. Most people actually do not read the whole article so this is alluding to fake news and people jumping to conclusions. It is pretty messed up to do this because now there are rumors going around.

• C

ConcernedCitizenJul 14, 2020 at 10:53 am

How is Howard dealing with these losses?