Review of ‘Great Pretender’

Erik Feliciano, Reporter

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to make a high stakes con to rob the slimiest, scummiest mob boss blind? If so, look no further than “Great Pretender.”

“Great Pretender” follows Makoto, a small time con man. After an unexpected meeting with Laurent Thierry, a confidence man which is an old fashioned term for a con man, who quickly turns Maloto’s life upside down as he follows him all the way to America. In his meeting with Laurent, Makoto begins to truly learn what it is to be a confidence man and moves from conning elderly people to big time crime bosses. 

Laurent isn’t the only other character that Makoto meets on his adventure. Other characters include Abigail Jones, a character of few words as well as a mysterious past, and Cynthia Moore, a very seductive character who will stop at nothing when it comes to getting what she wants.

The show is split up into different cases. The first is centered on a B-movie film director who is actually a mob boss. The second case focuses on the president of an air race who fixes them in his favor. The final case is centered around an art appraiser. Each case takes the cast of characters across the world from America to Singapore and finally, to France. 

The art style of the show is also incredible. While the characters are relatively flat, the backgrounds are where the show really shines. The anime uses an almost watercolor washed out art style and while many of the background characters are CGI, it actually works with the style that the backgrounds use.

Both the dub and the subbed versions of the anime are exceptional and do something quite interesting. When watching the dubbed version of the show, it initially starts off in Japanese as the show is set in japan for the first few minutes, but as they move to America, it quickly switches languages to fit the setting.

If you still need convincing on this anime, the ending theme uses the music video “The Great Pretender,” by Freddie Mercury and replaces everyone in it with cats. 

Putting everything into consideration, Spinnaker gives “Great Pretender” 4 out of 5 sails. Even if you’re not a fan of anime, “Great Pretender” has a lot to offer. It doesn’t overly rely on classic anime tropes and has characters that feel very real and easy to connect to.

It has also been confirmed that the final case, which will be nine episodes long, will be airing on Nov. 25. You won’t be waiting much longer for the conclusion to this high paced anime.

__

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services Team.

Join Jacksonville at this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• Shot of the front of the University of North Florida entrance and fountain. Courtesy of the UNF Athletics website.

UNF kickoffs their 50th anniversary celebration with an event full of games, prizes, and giveaways

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.