Martinez sentenced to 6 years in prison

Heydi Ortiz, News Editor

23-year-old, Jesse Martinez, was described by his mother as a “bundle of joy” and by the rest of his family and friends as a “quiet” and “timid” person but good character was not enough to convince the judge.

On May 9, Martinez received his sentencing of six years in Florida’s Federal State Prison, followed by five years of probation and mental health evaluations as well as rehabilitation. He was arrested back in April of last year for threatening to share explicit photos in exchange for sexual favors. After his arrest, UNFPD found several videos on his computer showing hidden cameras in the men’s bathroom at the Thomas G. Carpenter Library and in a bathroom at the Fountains.

“I am here today in front of you to ask for probation your honor. I know that my son has made some wrong decisions and wrong choices but I believe that he’s had some time to think things over and he knows that was not the right thing to do and I believe that he can change the direction of his life so he can leave behind what happened, to leave behind the wrong choices and decisions that he has made. He is a young adult and still has a lot to learn. I thought that he was ready for adulthood, as we all thought at his age. Unfortunately that is not what happened,” said the mother of young Jesse Martinez as she took the stand to share her testimony with the courtroom.

Prior to his arrest in April 2018, Martinez was already serving three years probation for a previous charge of misuse of a two-way communication device in Alachua County which would expire in December 2020. A complaint and arrest report from UNFPD, dating back to April 2017, showed that a UF Student told police that Martinez threatened to expose sexually explicit text messages to the students family if he did not agree to participate in a sexual act with Martinez.

“It is not surprising to find that any given store, restaurant, building has a recording device that may have captured an individual but what is unexpected in any given circumstance is that one would go into a bathroom, record what is described as in the police report as ‘normal bathroom facilities’- and the court and everyone in this courtroom is aware of what that includes but is not limited to- no one expects that those moments, those private incident moments from an individual will be recorded and that is what we are here for today,” said State attorney Tonya Patterson-Barge

__

1 Comment

One Response to “Martinez sentenced to 6 years in prison”

1. Jim Harden on May 12th, 2019 9:57 am

I appreciate the concern expressed by his mother. May God bless her.
    I suspect she, like many other mothers trying to raise a son in a house without a father was simply just not up to the task. Women tend to be too forgiving and not into tough love which is absolutely vital for raising boy children.
    Six years in jail allows for a long time to ponder one’s future.
    This time should not be wasted.
    Requiring mandatory completion of social educational courses, plus some mentoring could likely put this young man on the right track to recovery.
    Offer him some incentives and rewards for his efforts.
    He could become a model citizen and make us all proud.

Making a life is not about what you get. It is about what you give!
    Winston Churchill

May God bless us all…
    Jim

• Martinez sentenced to 6 years in prison

Student Government’s first committee meetings of the summer

Anthony Stagnitta pleads guilty to collection and distribution of child pornography

Publix Chicken Tender Subs on sale for a limited time

Free Speech vs. Inclusiveness: What college students think

Top Story

UNF redesigns student ID’s to function as voter ID’s

Top Story

New updates coming to UNF Wi-Fi

Top Story

Get your paddles with summer kayaking lessons

Business

Walmart raises minimum smoking age to 21

Summer A hours on campus

Florida’s new texting and driving ban awaits approval

Martinez sentenced to 6 years in prison