Hendricksen, Escobar combine for 45 in win over High Point

Zach Yearwood, Sports Reporter

Featured image by: Darvin Nelson

Video by: Brett Nweeia

The Birds of Trey made a statement in their first game back home from their Las Vegas Tournament. The Ospreys defeated legendary head coach Tubby Smith and the High Point University Panthers in their final home game of 2019, 93-70. 

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZtxEtp8VQ4[/embedyt]

Three pointers rained as the Ospreys took over in the middle of the first half. In the last 11 minutes of the half, the Birds of Trey hit five of their nine three-point attempts and closed the first period with a 32-18 run, leading 48-35.

In the second half, the Ospreys perimeter defense reigned supreme. They stopped the Panthers from making a single three-pointer on eight attempts.

Free throws were a bright spot for the Ospreys tonight as well; the team hit 18 of 20.

“What I really really love is the fact that we’re 18 of 20 from the free throw line,” UNF Men’s Basketball Head Coach Matthew Driscoll said after the game. “This team, in my opinion, should lead the country in free throw shooting and three-point shooting.”

Carter Hendricksen and JT. Escobar performed exceptionally. The deadly duo combined for 45 points and hit a combined 11 three-pointers.

“Everybody was really encouraging to me and just letting the game come, not trying to force stuff… and they fell tonight,” Escobar said when speaking about what sparked his performance.

Hendricksen’s 23 points were a career-high for the sophomore forward.

The Ospreys move up to 6-4 with the win and still have yet to lose a home game this season (5-0). The team’s homestand was short-lived, as they will be traveling to Tennessee to take on Austin Peay on Saturday, December 7 at 5:00 p.m. 

_